Position Type: Full-Time Regular
Location: Washington, DC
The Publications Editor works to edit written material to ensure accuracy, flow, logic, topical hook, consistency, and maximum accessibility, while implementing and overseeing editorial standards and publishing guidelines. The Publications Editor works under the direction of the Executive Director and/or his designee to undertake the list of functions below. She/He also works in cooperation with the Assistant Executive Director, the Director of Research and Analysis, the web and social media specialist, interns, and other ACW team members.
- Edit written materials to ensure accuracy, flow, logic, topical hook, consistency, and maximum accessibility. These include policy analysis papers, op-eds, research papers, book reviews, event summaries, announcements, annual reports, and other published texts.
- Implement and oversee editorial standards for both style and quality to generate consistent and high-quality publications.
- Periodically update publishing guidelines and style guide for ACW publications.
- Write and/or edit summaries of ACW events.
- Work with the Director of Research and Analysis to compile and edit full-length edited volumes based on ACW’s annual conference and other collections of research papers; work with book designer to produce the publications.
- Train and supervise Research and Editing Interns; assign tasks to interns and review their work.
- Work with web specialist to write, edit, and post publications, promotional materials, online content, social media, and newsletters.
- When needed, provide guidance on topics and content as well as assistance in finding potential authors and contributors.
- When needed, assist in transforming pieces into additional formats, including talking points, executive summaries, and op-eds.
- Occasionally review material and organize light peer reviews, as needed.
- A proven editor: excellent English language skills and a proven track record as a substance editor and copyeditor; superior proofreading skills
- General knowledge of international relations and deep understanding of Arab politics and US foreign policy in the Middle East and North Africa
- Excellent expository writing skills
- Good knowledge of the Arabic language and familiarity with transliterating Arabic in English preferred
- Superior ability to conduct research, check facts online, and vet web sources
- Experience working with research organizations and think tanks
- Excellent time management skills
- A minimum of BS/BA degree in a relevant field
- A minimum of 3–5 years of editorial experience in academic or think tank publications
- Deep knowledge of Middle East studies—history, politics, and society
- Demonstrated leadership role in editing
- Strong writing and research skills and attention to detail
- Self-motivation; superior teamwork ability
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office and creatively solve problems as they arise
- Ability to work with technology to disseminate content electronically
- Experience in managing relationships and sensitive issues
- Fluency in spoken and written Arabic preferred
- Experience in publishing books and monographs preferred
- Experience in writing reports and analytical articles preferred
- Knowledge of nonprofit and/or think tank operations preferred
Arab Center Washington DC (ACW) is a nonprofit, independent, and nonpartisan research organization dedicated to furthering the political, economic, and social understanding of the Arab world in the United States and to providing insight on US policies and interests in the Middle East. As a Washington-based authoritative research center on the Arab world, ACW addresses fundamental aspects of US-Arab relations through timely and objective academic research, policy analysis, and educational exchange.
ACW is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, religion, or any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the position title in the subject line of the email.
Currently accepting applications until the position is filled.
Salary commensurate with experience.