Job Vacancy: Analyst – Legislative Affairs
Position Title: Analyst – Legislative Affairs
Department/Team: Research & Analysis
Location: Washington, DC
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About Arab Center Washington DC (ACW):
The Arab Center Washington DC (ACW) is a nonprofit, independent, and nonpartisan research organization dedicated to furthering the political, economic, and social understanding of the Arab world in the United States and to providing insight on US policies and interests in the Middle East. As a Washington-based authoritative research center on the Arab world, ACW addresses fundamental aspects of US-Arab relations through timely and objective academic research, policy analysis, and educational exchange.
This is a full-time position, reporting to the Executive Director and the Director of Research & Analysis.
The Analyst for Legislative Affairs will monitor activities of the US Congress and provide ACW executives and fellow researchers with daily analyses of legislative issues related to US policy in the Middle East in all its aspects. He/she will initiate regular contacts and maintain professional relationships with relevant congressional staff serving on the foreign affairs committees and other committees or subcommittees dealing with the Arab world and Middle East issues.
Key Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Write analysis of legislation on relevant issues and areas regarding US Middle East policy, foreign aid, human rights and democracy in the Arab world, immigration and other relevant issues.
- Work with the Director of Research & Analysis, the Executive Director, and other members of the Research Unit to design, develop, and execute research and analysis efforts, publications, and events on topics related to US Congress and current affairs in US Middle East policy and the Arab world.
- Cultivate strong working relationships with congressional staff and members of Congress, including House and Senate leadership staff and relevant congressional caucuses.
- Prepare weekly “Congressional Updates” on actions taken, or actions to be taken, by Congress affecting US Middle East policy.
- Assist in creating and updating materials for the ACW website, newsletter, and other publications.
- Attend and report on relevant congressional hearings, think tank briefings, and conferences related to Congress and US Middle East policy.
- Represent ACW in a professional, courteous, and congenial manner at all times while meeting with congressional staff, members of the think tank community, and the public.
- Raise the profile of ACW as an educational resource for congressional staff and members.
- Liaise and network with think tanks and relevant organizations on issues related to the areas of expertise.
- Bachelor’s degree. Major in political science, public policy, international affairs, or Middle East studies is preferred.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of experience with congressional or legislative affairs, including basic understanding of the legislative and policy-making process, committee structure, leadership positions, and trends and familiarity with the congressional authorization and appropriations process.
- Substantive knowledge of Arab and Middle East history and political issues.
- Analytical ability and strong writing skills.
- Ability to plan, organize, and execute tasks with minimal direction.
- A team-oriented individual who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with a non-profit research center or think tank preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, delegate work, and supervise congressional intern(s).
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work in a fast-paced environment, often under stringent deadlines.
- Highly organized with attention to detail.
Please send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com with the subject line (Legislative Affairs Analyst)
ACW is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, religion, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.